- Suitable agro-climatic conditions.
• Traditional tea growing skills.
• Potential to increase the area under production.
• Tea Production with good qualities.
• Scope for setting up of Blending Units.
The agro-climatic conditions in Tripura are suitable for the development of tea plantation. The soil is generally fertile, without any major problems of toxicities or deficiencies.The average annual rainfall is about 210 cm. with a fairly even distribution over the year. Tripura has a history of tea plantations dating back to 1916. In fact, Tripura is categorized as a traditional tea-growing State with about 54 Tea Estates, 21 Tea processing factories, and more than 2500 small tea growers, producing about 9 million kg. of tea every year. This makes Tripura the 5th largest, among the 16 tea producing States in India.There is considerable scope to increase the productivity and area under tea plantation.
The tea currently produced in Tripura is recognized for its good qualities. Some plantations in the State are going for organic and green tea manufacturing. There is considerable scope for investment in the tea sector of the State.
- Tripura Tea Logo has been launched in the year 2018 to have a reccognition of Tripura Tea in the National/Global Market.
- TTDC Ltd. has developed the brand of “Tripureswari Tea” for the tea made in their factory.
- In the recent auction, TTDC Tea has fetched the highest average price of Rs. 177/kg. tea.
- Steps have been initiated to set up more tea processing factories in both green tea, Orthodox and CTC tea.
- TTDC Ltd. has recently started distribution and selling of Tripureswari Packet Tea through PDS under Ration shops